Project Description

HISTORY OF THE KANTTILA FROM THE 18TH CENTURY TO THE PRESENT DAY

  • 2020  The report on Kanttila’s building history is finished on 19th of March 2020. The architectural firm Arto Mattila begins as the main designer.

  • 2019  175 years from the birth of Minna Canth. The city of Kuopio buys the Kanttila property. Jaakko Rustanius begins the report on Kanttila residency needs. The architectural firm Hannu Puurunen begins the report on Kanttila’s building history (Kanttila RHS). RakFix begins Kanttila’s contaminant mapping, the samples are examined at MikroBioni. Summer garden at the Kanttila yard, artist Kristiina Korpela as the head gardener.

  • 2018  New presentations: The plans for the Minna Canth House (aka Kanttila)

  • 2017 March 19th was designated as a national flag day celebrating equality. At the same day Kanttila was sold to the Association of the Minna Canth House by Bonavia Finland.

  • 2017  Finland celebrates it’s 100 anniversary! Savonia University of Applied Sciences, Savo Vocational College and numerous other partners launch major renovations and plans for Kanttila.

  • 2016  The Association of the Minna Canth House is established to save Kanttila. The Association concludes a preliminary agreement with Bonavia Suomi Oy (formerly NCC) for the purchase of the building.

  • 2016  Kanttila Cultural Center Support Association changes its name to Minna Canth Kuopio

  • 2015  Cultural Counselor Veijo Balzar plans to buy and refurbish Kanttila, but withdraws from the project in early 2016.

  • 2007  Despite many initiatives, the renovation of Kanttila is not progressing and Kanttila is emptied in the end of 2007
  • 2006  A red brick building that served as a coffee roastery and parts of the Workers’ House were demolished. A new apartment building was built

  • 2004  Kapiteeli Ltd sells the Kanttila to NCC
  • 2003  Due to changes in Kuopio urban planning, part of the buildings in the port (the Labor house) and the whole building of Kanttila must be preserved in its current appearance, but the purpose is not specified
  • 1999  The State Real Estate Department sells the block of Kanttila to the State Inventory Corporation (since 2000, Kapiteeli Oy)
  • 1994  The Kanttila Cultural Center Support Association negotiated the fate of Kanttila withthe Director General of the Finnish Building Board, Mäkelä. The National Board of Construction proposed negotiations for the City of Kuopio to change the plot of land (Harmaalinna-Kanttila).
  • 1993  Kuopio County Arts Council (Pohjois-Savo Art Council) moved to Kanttila
  • 1991  The Kanttila Cultural Center Support Association was founded with the aim of preserving Kanttila. The same year, the decision was taken to preserve Kanttila. However, the decision was reversed because the National Board of Construction never provided the required documents for the zoning change.
  • 1989  The Artists’ Association of Kuopio took the initiative to make Kanttila available for clubs (e.g. cultural and friendship activities)
  • 1980  A number of national bureaus were located in the buildings at Kanttila
  • 1974  The business ran by Minna Canth perilliset Oy ceases operations. The ownership of Kanttila was transferred to the State and it was repaired for office use (final internal repair)
  • 1955  Change in office space and layout
  • 1947  A courtyard wing was built and the part of the building hosting the textile shop was raised to two floors
  • 1939  A stone tower was built to replace the gateway, it was situated between the lower and upper corridors
  • 1930  The house was remodeled to the looks that it has, more or less, today.
  • 1909  Major changes were made in Kanttila; the courtyard porch was rebuilt and the façade got an Art Nouveau stamp
  • 1897  Minna Canth dies and in the same year the heirs take over the business
  • 1881  Minna Canth becomes a merchant, in addition to the textile store, it included a general merchandise store
  • 1865  Gustav Vilhelm Johnson takes over the business.
  • 1860  Gustav Vilhelm Johnson bought Kanttila from Clementij Guseff.
  • 1856  A residential building on Kuninkaankatu got a plaster coating.
  • 1853  Gustav Vilhelm Johnson, father of Minna Canth, came from Tampere to manage the Finlayson store in Kuopio, initially in a leased premises
  • 1850  In the residential building, on the corner of the streets, a corner apartment was added
  • 1849  The Textile & Yarn Shop was painted yellow
  • 1846  The bookstore owner Wäänänen died and Klementij Guseff bought the house
  • 1828  The house on what is now Minna Canth’in katu was lined up
  • 1820  The first floor of the Minna Canth Street building and the trunk of the Kuninkaankatu residential building, originally painted red, were built
  • 1819  The peasant Petter Wäänänen from Kehvola was granted rights to run a book shop and he erected several buildings on the plot including two residential buildings and outbuildings.
  • 1800  In the early 1800s, the site served as a garden plot for Professor Salonius
  • 1790  The property was transferred to Provincial Treasurer Edbom
  • 1780  The plot of land in Kanttila was owned by Skotte

THE YEARS MINNA CANTH LIVED IN KANTTILA

The House of Minna Canth (1844 – 1897) is located in the center of Kuopio, next to Snellman park and only a 5 min walk from Kuopio market place. The building, also known by the name Kanttila, is a valuable part of Kuopio’s cultural history. It was home to Minna Canth and a meeting place where equality was defended.

In Kanttila she ran a drapers´shop and general merchandise and hosted her famous cultural salon, which was visited by many cultural figures Juhani Aho  and Jean  Sibelius. After Minna’s death, Minna Canthin Perilliset Oy continued its business activities until 1974. Since then, ownership and use have varied greatly. The house has been roughly modified according to the architecture of each period. It was not until 2003 that the facade was protected.